The gloomy winter weather can have your skin craving a sun-kissed glow but UV tanning beds may not be the safest or most effective option. Another way to get a healthy glow is through a spray tan, a quick and inexpensive way to give your skin the touch of color it’s craving.
However, many people don’t know what to expect when they go in to get a spray tan. Here are 9 things you should know before getting a spray tan:
1. Before getting your spray tan, exfoliate and shower.
Exfoliating weekly can help get rid of the unwanted rough skin around areas such as your elbows and knees, but make sure to not scrub too hard when using a loofah or sponge to avoid rubbing layers off of your skin. Exfoliating before a spray tan helps to open your pores and get rid of dead skin to develop an even color.
2. Do not use moisturizing lotion a few hours prior to getting your spray.
Moisturizing lotions can act as a barrier to the spray. The only lotions that should be used are ones recommended by the spa or salon performing the service.
3. Most spas will provide a cream to put on the palm your hands, nails, cuticles and the bottom of your feet to avoid solution build up.
Color is attracted to the dry and rough spots on your body, so providing a barrier between those problem areas and the spray will help have a more natural look. If the spa does not have a cream for you, petroleum jelly will work as well.
4. Make sure to exfoliate your face and take off all make-up for best results.
5. During your session, wear protective a hair bonnet or net to avoid any color from staining your hair.
6. Wearing undergarments will help to protect areas that may be more sensitive to the solution.
7. You should keep your mouth closed and do not inhale the solution during spray.
Some people even like to wear lip balm to protect the mouth.
8. After the spray is complete, put on an extending lotion for best result and wear loose clothes home to avoid wiping off the first layer of solution.
Most spray tans are dried after the spray process, so this may not be a concern.
9. Do not get your skin wet for 4-6 hours after the session.
This includes bathing, swimming, perspiration or getting wet from rain or snow. Once you have showered, continue to moisturize to maintain a natural and healthy glow!
Want a 99% natural tanning solution hand-sprayed to cover every nook and cranny for an all-over even glow? Come get a custom air-brushed spray tan from Spa in the City!
For more questions on how to get a spray tan or to schedule your appointment, call 317-685-8055 or click below to make an appointment: